Slide background

FDA Is Trying (Again) To Clean Up Your Hand Soap


The federal Food and Drug administration has announced proposed rules that could drive unnecessary and potentially dangerous products from the market — antibacterial hand soaps like those marketed by Dial, Softsoap and CVS.

This is a big deal.

About half of the liquid hand soaps sold in the U.S. contain antibacterial chemicals, according to marketing research reported in the New York Times. If the FDA’s rule becomes final, it will require…


FDA Probes Anti-Germ Claims of Anti-bacterial Soaps and Body Wash


Did you know that the antibacterial soap you keep next to bathroom sinks and on kitchen countertops contains an active ingredient that has been linked to serious, lifelong health ailments? In fact, this ingredient was never intended for public use, but it can now be found in everything from soap to mouthwash to cosmetics.

"Antibacterial soaps have gained "widespread…"



Teens Getting Drunk Off Hand Sanitizer


ABC News recently reported on six California teenagers that were hospitalized with alcohol poisoning after drinking hand sanitizer. Parents should think twice about using alcohol-based sanitizers on their children's skin especially before snack time and meals. Liquid hand sanitizer is 62 to 65 percent ethyl alcohol, or ethanol, the main ingredient in beer, wine and spirits, making it 120-proof. To compare, a bottle of vodka is 80-proof. "A few swallows is all it takes to get a person to get the intoxicated effects of alcohol," Dr. Cyrus Rangan, medical toxicology consultant for Children's Hospital Los Angeles, said…


Homemade Microwave Popcorn

Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine

Do you think that microwavable popcorn is a quick and healthy snack? Think again. A chemical coating used in microwave popcorn bags breaks down into perfluorooctanoic (PFOA). The Environmental Protection Agency has labeled PFOA as a likely carcinogen.

Fake butter flavoring (found in many microwaveable popcorn types), also contains a chemical called diacetyl. Workers in microwave popcorn factories have suffered from a condition called bronchiolitis obliterans after inhaling the fumes…